Sunday, May 6, 2007

La Dolce Vita

Since Sada Sat Singh returned on Tuesday we have been busy!! Wednesday morning we were given the super exciting task of weeding the driveway. Imagine a long pebble covered area that has not been tended to in several months…needless to say it was a big job. And we only managed part of it before the rain began. We had been enjoying summer-like days, warm temps and sunny skies…. no more. It has been chilly, off-and-on rainy and windy since Monday.

We spent the rest of Wednesday cleaning and setting up one of the rooms in the Borgo because our first guests of the season arrive tonight!

Thursday Sada Sat Singh took Chance and I to see Urbino. Which is a beautiful little town that is a bit off the normal tourist track because it is hard to
get to…and going with SSS is like bringing a walking guidebook with you. He is an incredible font of knowledge about Italy, art, history…it is really quite amazing. In Urbino we went into the old palace (which is now the a museum). The highlight of the “regular” art stuff for me was seeing one of Rafael’s early works, a portrait of a young woman, completed when the artist was about 15. The basement of the palace is
this amazing interweaving set of tunnels and rooms. It is amazing to see the size and attention to detail in these structures that were built completely underground and without modern tools or lights…wow. I am beginning to realize that I am more into the architecture/stonework then the “art.” I think part of it is that SO much (basically all) of the artwork is based on Christian stories/themes. Which I don’t mind… but I don’t really have any basis of information to know what is going on…and the images of the Madonna and the Christ child and the Crucifixion are not moving to me at all (and those two images are repeated ad nauseum). I understand that Jesus was a great teacher and presence in the world…but I don’t get the focus on his birth and death. His teachings/ way of life seem much more inspiring to me…from what I know anyway.

The other really amazing thing in the palace was a very small out of the way, teeny room called the Chapel of Forgiveness. It was beautifully tiled in blue, green and white marble, basically just big enough for one person to walk in, with a small alter
at the front and a gorgeous archway and ceiling. When you walked in the energy was so pure and strong it was as if you were being pressed in on from all sides…wahe!

Thursday night I also went with SSS into Sansepolcro (one of the nearest towns) and took my first yoga class in Italian. I was surprised but how much I really was able to follow along…although I did have to peek sometimes.

Today has been about cleaning and cooking in preparation for our guests. We have three people arriving tonight. SSK returns and another couple come Sunday. Chance and 3 of the guests leave Monday. I will be sad to see Chance go. It was an unexpected surprise to find a fun friend and working pal in her. I am glad that I got a few day trips under my belt with her here because it gives me confidence to go off on other trips when the opportunity arrives.

SSS went to teach a class to someone else today and Chance and I took the opportunity to go into a nearby walled town called Anghiari. It was GORGEOUS! A
small enough place that you could wander around without a map, and all of these peaceful slopping streets, random stairways and tunnels…a really fun experience. It was also fun to find churches…everywhere. These beautiful, little churches (seating maybe 25-30 people) just plopped down in between the ristoraunte and the eyeglass shop.

Also in Anghiari we had the best lunch we’ve had outyet. I had Brushcetta and this beautiful tortellini like spinach balls with the best, rich cheese sauce you can imagine…. Molto bene (Very good!). Simple ingredients, beautifully presented and combined…Real Italian food is such an experience unto itself.

It’s going to be a great weekend…a lot of work I assure, but great still. I love getting emails, regular mail, text messages (which apparently are very cheap
for me to send/receive) or phone calls. Let me know if you need info on how to contact me.

I miss and love you all
Sat Nam,
KNL:

1 comment:

Dawn said...

hmmmmm, you revved up my brain dearest! nice to hear someone say that about Jesus. I had never thought of it just that way before, but you summed up my conflicted-raised-roman-catholic-now-alienated thoughts perfectly. It is always his life I want to know more about too. More research needed!