Tuesday, June 19, 2007

“Beautiful Like the Darkness Between The Fireflies”

-Mason Jennings

This was a big weekend up at the Yoga Borgo. The Sada Sats ran a course called “Your Life in Your Chakras.” 3 weeks ago we had 10 people signed up. A week ago it was down to 6. A few days before the course it was down to 4. Friday morning when guests were supposed to be arriving we got a call from a couple flying in from Brussels. ALL flights in and out of Brussels had been grounded for the day. So…it
ended up being just 2 guests. Even though it wasn’t quite what we planned it was still a fantastic weekend.

Starting Friday evening and ending Sunday afternoon we did sets and meditation for all 8 chakras. (For you non-yoga folks: Chakras, in a nutshell, are the energetic centers in our bodies. Yogically we say that by balancing and opening up the flow of energy between ALL of your charkas you can bring yourself into a more balanced state physically, mentally and spiritually.) So needless to say…it was A LOT of
yoga. And, specifically a lot of frogs. Ouch!

You would think that working at a yoga retreat I would be having an amazingly comprehensive practice of yoga every day. The truth is that it is just as easy to
put off meditations or avoid doing a set here as it is in the “regular” world. So this weekend was a really good reminder to me that I came here to deepen my
practice. (I came for a plethora of other reasons as well…but that was certainly high on the list.) So, if I am here to re-connect with my practice and strengthen myself as a yogi and a teacher of yoga…I am the one who must make (and keep) the commitment to myself to show up for my practice. Yoga is all about daily practice. Sadhana is our touchstone; the opportunity to check in with ourselves and make sure
we are always walking on our own highest path and to continue to work through our individual karma/baggage. So I am rededicating myself (as I have done countless times before and will, no doubt, do countless times again) to show up both mentally and physically to my own personal sadhana. (Sadhana = daily practice)

This morning, after my Sadhana, of course, the SS’s and I went into town to run errands. It is funny how big a deal it is to go into town. But when you’re up
on the mountain and so far away from other people it is exciting to be among your fellow man again.

After errands, SSK decided that it was a good day for a picnic. So we packed a lunch and headed down to the river. I’ve heard the SS’s talk about this beautiful,
but long, hike you can take down to a waterfall in the river, and that was the place we decided to go for our picnic. You drive about half way down our driveway and then pull off on the path that lead to the river. SSS decided that the path was large enough and safe enough for us to drive part way down. And when we got part way down he decided we might as well drive all the way down. So our long, beautiful hike ended up being about a 30-yard walk down to the river from the car. (Just as well, it was 3pm by then and we hadn’t eaten lunch.) The waterfall, I’m sure, early in the spring, is fantastic. As it was, it was ok…but not much more than the amount of water you’d get from a fire hydrant when they open them up into the street.

We finally agreed on a shady spot and laid out our blanket. Which Agnes (the dog) promptly walked all over with her muddy paws. So much for staying clean/dry. Had a fantastic lunch and then settled in for a cozy session of reading and dozing. I really can’t imagine much of a better way to spend an afternoon. The word “bliss” comes to mind.

And if that wasn’t blissful enough after a while of lounging SSK asks me “Do you feel like we should go home and bake chocolate chunk walnut cookies?” And obviously I answered a big, fat “Amen! Wahe Guru!” And so we did just that. Ssk doesn’t believe that anything below 75% coco is actually chocolate, so our cookies had 80% Swiss chocolate bar chunks and walnuts in them. And we’re… I think Heavenly is the only possible word to use here. Mmmmmmmm……

Sorry, did I start drooling?

Moving on: Tonight the fireflies came out. It is so dark up here and there are so many of them that it is really magical. These fireflies seem different than the ones in the states…more of a white light (instead of yellow) and they seem to flicker on more quickly. But seriously just the most beautiful ending to a rather fantastic day…I am amazingly blessed.

I am planning my next little excursion…I was REALLY hoping to go to Finland. But it just didn’t work out. (A good excuse for another trip). Now I am thinking I may head to Sardinia, which also sounds quite cool. So we shall see.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Love and Blessings,

KNL

No comments: